What’s the HEI Firing Order for a 350 Chevy Small Block?

Definitely! I once mixed up two wires and ended up with a backfire. A real headache. Anyone got tips for avoiding that?

I recommend using colored wire looms. They help keep track of which wire goes where, greatly reducing the risk of mix-ups! Plus, they look pretty cool under the hood.

As a reminder, 350 small blocks are often sensitive to timing, so make sure you set the timing right after your assembly. A timing light is a must-have tool in your kit!

I’ve never used a timing light! Is it really that important?

Absolutely! It helps you set your ignition timing accurately, ensuring better performance and efficiency. Without it, you’re just guessing!

5 Likes

That sounds risky! What about initial timing? How do I know where to set it?

Typically, initial timing for a 350 Chevy is around 10-16 degrees. Check your manual for specifics based on your setup. Adjusting it can really impact how the engine runs.

Also, don’t forget to check for any leaks after you’ve finished everything. A small mistake can turn into significant issues down the line!

So true! It’s the little things that can mess up a whole build! I always keep a checklist for my builds.

That’s a smart approach! A checklist can save you a lot of hassle. Also, getting a buddy to help can be beneficial, as an extra set of eyes on the firing order can help catch mistakes.

The firing order for a 350 Chevy Small Block is 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2. Incorrect timing can lead to major performance problems!

Thanks for all the helpful tips, everyone. I feel ready to tackle my 350 build with all this guidance! Just hope I don’t accidentally launch the hood off with misfires, haha!

6 Likes

That’s right! If the firing order gets mixed up, you might experience backfiring and rough idling. Symptoms like these signal that something’s off!

I totally agree! I had a mix-up once and it nearly drove me crazy. It’s such a simple mistake that can cause huge headaches on the road.

5 Likes

Backfiring is definitely no joke! I also had trouble getting smooth acceleration with the wrong firing order.

To diagnose these problems, check your spark plug wires and ensure they follow the correct firing sequence. It’s a quick fix but essential for performance!

Also, a timing light can help you spot ignition timing issues quickly compared to just guessing. Great tool for every DIY mechanic!

8 Likes

Spot on! I found that even a minor disorganization in the wiring can cause significant performance drops.

Performance may also fluctuate due to faulty ignition components. If you have issues even after checking the firing order, inspect your coil and distributor.

Yeah, I had a bad distributor cap while troubleshooting once. It was such a headache until I realized that was the culprit!