Fram PH8170 Cross Reference - What Alternatives Can I Use?

That’s a good point, markschmidt. The last thing you want is to be under your car figuring that out after the fact!

The Fram PH8170 works great, but if you’re looking for alternatives, any filter with the same specs will do. Just be sure to check compatibility with your vehicle.

True, but I have to say, nothing beats the reliability of a Fram. I switched to a cheaper option once and regretted it. Just my two cents!

I’ve been using the Fram PH8170 for years! It’s important to change it according to your vehicle’s service schedule, usually every 5,000 to 7,500 miles. Keeping it maintained definitely boosts performance.

That’s good to know! I’ve heard using alternatives like the Wix 51358 can also work. Any thoughts on this?

I’m curious, what happens if you go beyond the recommended service intervals with the Fram PH8170? I’ve noticed my oil looks darker earlier than expected, is that normal?

Great question! If you delay changes, you risk clogging the filter, which could lead to engine damage. It’s best to stay on top of it!

Anyone have tips for identifying wear on the Fram PH8170? I want to make sure I’m not neglecting my car’s needs.

7 Likes

Yes, definitely look out for leaks or strange noises from the engine. Those can be signs the filter isn’t functioning properly. Staying proactive helps!

That’s really helpful! Also, does anyone know if switching to a synthetic oil impacts the filter’s life?

3 Likes

Switching to synthetic oil can actually extend the filter’s life since synthetics typically last longer than conventional oils. Just make sure to still change the filter at regular intervals!

I use the Fram PH8170 and have tried alternatives like the K&N oil filter. They work well, but I’m curious about if there’s any noticeable performance difference.

That’s interesting! I’ve wondered about K&N too. Some say they improve horsepower slightly. Anyone experienced this?

I actually didn’t feel any difference in horsepower when switching brands, but maybe it’s subtle. It’s all about how well your engine runs overall.