Looking for Recommendations on 1.8 Miata Turbo Kits

Totally agree! I learned the hard way with my last project. If you have a friend who’s done it before, it would help a lot during the installation.

3 Likes

What about intercoolers? Do those usually come with the kits, or do we need to look for them separately?

Many kits include one, but double-check. It can be a costly mistake if you overlook that. Make sure it’s compatible with your Miata model too!

1 Like

I would recommend taking your time during the installation. It’s not a race, and rushing can lead to mistakes that can be costly down the line.

Very true! It’s the details that matter. Also, don’t forget to label your hoses and wires as you go; it saves time later.

Anyone else worried about the whole tuning process? I’ve heard it can be pretty tricky and important to get right.

Tuning is crucial! I highly recommend seeking a professional if you’re unfamiliar with it. I had my fair share of tuning issues initially, but it made a huge difference once sorted.

7 Likes

Let’s face it, who doesn’t love a bit of extra horsepower? Just be prepared for your wallet to feel lighter with all the upgrades you’ll want afterward!

True! But seriously, just focus on the basics first. You’ll have plenty of time (and money!) for the fun stuff later.

Hey everyone! I’m looking into turbo kits for my 1.8 Miata as well. Any recommendations on brands and what to expect in terms of power gains?

Check out the kits from Flyin’ Miata! They have great tuning options that can really enhance performance. Nearly doubled my horsepower!

I second Flyin’ Miata! Also, don’t forget about ECU tuning—it’s essential for maximizing your setup. The right fuel map can make a huge difference.

3 Likes

What kind of fuel upgrades are necessary after installing a turbo kit? I’m worried about running lean with a stock setup.

At the very least, you’ll want a larger fuel pump and injectors to handle the extra boost. Don’t skimp on the fuel system!

7 Likes

I’m curious, what kind of boost levels are people running on their 1.8 Miatas? Is it safe to go over 10 psi with the stock internals?

Most guys I know stay under 10 psi, but some push it to 12 with good tuning. Just monitor your temps and knock!

Can anyone comment on intercoolers? Do they really make a difference in performance after a turbo install?

1 Like

Absolutely! A good intercooler will lower intake temperatures, which improves performance and reliability. It’s a must-have!

I’ve heard some people argue that going turbo compromises the Miata’s balance. Thoughts?

While there is some truth to it, proper suspension tuning can help maintain that Miata feel! Plus, all that extra power is hard to resist.