High Mileage Engine Additive - What's the Best Option?

What about the Royal Purple High Mileage Oil? I’ve read about it but haven’t seen any real customer feedback yet. Anyone tried it out?

I’ve used it! It made my engine feel smoother, but it’s certainly one of the pricier options. Worth it if you can afford it.

Is it just me or do all these additives feel like magic potions? :joy: I mean, I put them in and suddenly my car is a race car! Without the speed, of course.

7 Likes

Haha! That’s one way to look at it! Maybe we should start a ‘magic potion’ club for our cars.

In all seriousness, these additives do help reduce wear in older engines. It’s fascinating how mixed feedback can be. I’m still undecided on which is best for my car.

When choosing a high mileage engine additive, consider your engine type and how many miles it’s logged. Some additives work better for gasoline engines vs. diesel. Also, think about your driving conditions—do you drive mostly on highways or in the city?

Absolutely, and don’t forget personal goals! Are you looking to prolong your engine’s life, or improve performance? Your priorities can greatly influence your choice.

1 Like

I totally agree with parksheather about personal goals. If you’re aiming for better fuel efficiency or smoother operation, some additives are specifically formulated for those benefits.

Mileage is key! I noticed significant improvement in my engine performance after using a high mileage additive at 150,000 miles. Look for ones that reduce wear and tear, especially if you’re nearing or over that mark.

2 Likes

That’s great to hear! What specific brand or type did you use? I’m curious about your experience because I have a friend with a similar mileage.

I used an additive that’s specifically designed for older engines, and it really helped with some knocking noises. Don’t underestimate the driving conditions though; highway driving can cause additives to perform differently than city driving.

6 Likes

So true! I’ve experienced that too; additives can help engine noise but may not address all issues if the conditions are harsh. What about the viscosity of oils? Anyone noticed a difference?

8 Likes

I wonder if using a thicker oil in combination with an additive, especially in high mileage engines, would be beneficial. Anyone tried that out? It’s a bit of a gamble, but I find it interesting!

Let’s just say I once added too much and my engine sounded like it was auditioning for a rock band—definitely not the intended result! Moderation is key, my friends. :joy:

Hahaha! That’s hilarious! But seriously, how do you guys determine the right amount to add? I am a little confused with the dosage.

It’s crucial to read the product guidelines on the additive’s label. I’ve seen users either underestimate or overestimate the recommended dosage, resulting in mixed outcomes. Always start on the lower end if you’re uncertain!