What’s the HEI Firing Order for a 350 Chevy Small Block?

When working on a 350 Chevy small block, especially if you’re dealing with a High Energy Ignition (HEI) system, knowing the firing order is crucial for your engine to run properly. For the classic 350, the firing order is 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2. Here’s a simple guide to help you with wiring and configuration:

Understanding the Firing Order

• The firing order determines the sequence in which the cylinders fire.
  • Correct order ensures smooth engine operation and prevents misfires.

Steps for Wiring the HEI Distributor

1. Locate the Cylinder Numbers:
    • Driver’s side: 1, 3, 5, 7
    • Passenger’s side: 2, 4, 6, 8
  2. Identify the Cap Terminals:
    • Arrange the wires from the distributor to match the firing order.
    • Starting from the cap position for cylinder 1, follow the sequence around the cap, going clockwise.
  3. Connect the Wires:
    • Ensure that each wire is securely connected to prevent misfires.
    • It’s helpful to use color-coded wires for easy identification.

Troubleshooting Tips

• If your engine is backfiring or running rough:
    • Double-check the firing order and wire connections.
    • Inspect for any damaged wires or loose connections.
  • Use a timing light to check if your ignition timing is within spec.

Conclusion

Getting the firing order right when wiring your HEI system is vital for optimal engine performance. If you’re still having issues after following these steps, don’t hesitate to ask for help or share your specific case here in the forum! We’re all here to help each other out. Happy wrenching!

7 Likes

The firing order of an engine refers to the sequence in which the cylinders ignite. For the 350 Chevy small block, the firing order is 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2. This is crucial for optimal performance and engine balance.

This firing order ensures smooth power delivery and minimizes vibration. It’s critical for maintaining overall engine balance!

I’ve always wondered how firing order affects engine performance. Does it really make that much of a difference?

Great question! A correct firing order optimizes the power distribution across cylinders, preventing uneven wear and enhancing efficiency.

It’s fascinating how a simple number sequence can influence everything from power output to engine lifespan. The 350 Chevy really has a great design.

You can really feel the difference in power delivery when you get the firing order right. Just installed a new camshaft, and it made a world of difference!

Absolutely! It’s one of those things that makes tuning so rewarding. Small changes can yield big results!

Does changing the intake or exhaust system affect the firing order? I’ve been thinking about upgrades.

Good question! The firing order stays the same with those changes, but their efficiency can dramatically influence overall performance.

I’m thinking about tuning my engine, but I’m a bit confused about all the variables involved. Anyone have tips?

It’s all about understanding how each component works together. Start with the firing order; once you’ve mastered that, other aspects will fall into place! You got this!

6 Likes

I love that advice! It’s like putting together a puzzle; the firing order is just one key piece.

Just a reminder: always double-check your firing order during installation, it can save you a ton of headaches later!

Yes! I’ve definitely learned that the hard way. A misfire or backfire isn’t fun to deal with!

Let’s not forget: while firing order is crucial, it might not be as entertaining as choosing the right set of rims for your ride! Just kidding!

5 Likes

To set the firing order for a 350 Chevy small block, you’ll need some basic tools like a wrench set, a torque wrench, and possibly a timing light. The firing order is 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2. Make sure to double-check your distributor cap placements before starting!

Great breakdown! I always struggled with remembering that. How do you ensure the wires are set correctly to avoid misfires?

5 Likes

When installing the wires, start by ensuring they follow the same sequence as the firing order. A simple trick I use is labeling them as I go. This way, if you mess up, it’s easier to track!

If you’re new to this, take your time and double-check each wire placement. It’s essential not to mix them up! Keep a diagram handy for reference.

5 Likes