Looking for Tips on Street Glide Center Stand Installation

Introduction

If you own a Harley-Davidson Street Glide or are considering getting one, you might be looking into enhancing its functionality, especially when it comes to maintenance. One upgrade that many riders find beneficial is installing a center stand. In this post, I’ll share some insights into selecting a center stand, installation tips, and what to consider before making a purchase.

Why Choose a Center Stand?

Having a center stand can make maintenance tasks a lot easier, like cleaning the chain or performing tire checks. It provides stability and makes it simpler to work on your bike without needing a lift. Plus, it can enhance the overall look of your Street Glide.

Things to Consider

1. Compatibility: Ensure that any center stand you consider is designed specifically for the Street Glide model. Some stands may fit multiple models, while others are tailored for specific years and configurations.
  2. Quality: Look for stands made from durable materials that can withstand the weight of your bike and daily use. Stainless steel or heavy-duty aluminum are great options.
  3. Weight: Take into account the weight of the center stand itself. A stand that is too heavy might make it cumbersome to use, while a lightweight one may not be sturdy enough.
  4. Price: Center stands can vary widely in price. Determine your budget ahead of time to narrow down your options effectively.

Installation Tips

Installing a center stand can be straightforward, but here are some tips to make the process smoother:

• Read the Manual: Before you do anything, make sure to read the installation manual that comes with your center stand. This will give you specific instructions that are crucial for your model.
  • Gather Tools: You may need tools like socket wrenches, screwdrivers, and a torque wrench. Having everything on hand will save you from running back and forth to the garage.
  • Work in a Clean Space: A clutter-free environment will help you avoid losing any small parts and keep you focused on the installation.
  • Take Your Time: Don’t rush through the installation. Ensure that every bolt is secure, and the stand moves freely without obstruction.

Additional Modification Options

Once you have your center stand installed, you might think about further modifications to enhance your riding experience. Some popular options include:

• Upgraded suspension systems for better handling.
  • Aftermarket exhausts for a more robust sound.
  • Custom seats for added comfort on long rides.

Conclusion

Adding a center stand can significantly enhance the functionality of your Street Glide. Not only does it simplify maintenance, but it also complements the design of your bike. If you have any questions or need further tips, feel free to ask! Let’s keep the discussion going and help each other out with any installation hurdles we may face.

Happy riding!

Hey everyone! I’m looking for a step-by-step tutorial on how to install a center stand on my Street Glide. Any tips would be appreciated!

Hi danielle99! To start, you’ll need some basic tools: a socket wrench set, a torque wrench, and a flathead screwdriver. Also, make sure to have a clean workspace for safety!

1 Like

Great tips, andersonkeith! Are there any recommended brands for the tools? I want to make sure I buy quality equipment.

2 Likes

I’m always a fan of Craftsman and Snap-On tools. They have good warranties too, just in case! And don’t forget to wear safety glasses when working under the bike.

Safety first! Also, remember to stabilize your bike before you start. Use wheel chocks or a jack to keep it from tipping over during the installation.

Good point, taylor29. What steps should I follow once the bike is stable?

Start by removing the existing kickstand. Then, attach the new center stand to the bracket using the provided hardware. Make sure everything is aligned before tightening!

How do I ensure that the alignment is perfect? I don’t want any wobbling!

6 Likes

A good tip is to check the stand’s alignment with the rear wheel before tightening everything down. You want it centered and parallel to avoid any future issues.

This is so helpful! I’m excited to get started. Any other installation tips?

Don’t rush the installation! Take your time to ensure everything is properly set. After everything is tight, test the center stand before riding.

Or you could find out the hard way like I did—twice! Always double-check, haha! I’m still traumatized from my first try!

That sounds like a rough experience! I’m determined to avoid that! Thanks for the warning!

Once installed, it’s reflective; using the center stand can really improve storage and maintenance access. Plus, it’s a solid feature for balancing the bike!

Installing a center stand on your Street Glide can really simplify maintenance tasks, especially tire checks and chain adjustments. It’s a great investment!

Absolutely! Plus, it makes parking on uneven surfaces much easier. No more worrying about your bike tipping over.

8 Likes

I’ve found that a center stand offers more stability when doing repairs. You can really get under the bike without it wobbling or feeling insecure.

Exactly! It allows you to work more effectively, especially for those longer tasks.

1 Like

Also, don’t forget about the ease of doing oil changes! A center stand positions the bike just right for an efficient drain.

5 Likes