Looking for Recommendations on 1.8 Miata Turbo Kits

Seeking Advice on Turbo Kits for 1.8 Miata

Hey fellow enthusiasts! I’m considering upgrading my 1.8 Miata’s performance and have been looking into turbo kits. I want to boost power and enhance the overall driving experience, but I’m not sure where to start.

What I’m Looking For:

• Recommendations on Turbo Kits: If you’ve installed a turbo on your 1.8 Miata, which kit did you choose? What made you go with that one?
  • Installation Tips: Are there any crucial installation details or potential pitfalls I should be aware of?
  • Performance Gains: What kind of power increase can I realistically expect from various kits?
  • Reliability Tips: If you’ve been using a turbo kit for a while now, have you faced any reliability issues? What maintenance practices do you recommend?

Additional Considerations:

• Budget: I’m trying to keep my spending reasonable. Are there any budget-friendly kits that still perform well?
  • Plans for Other Upgrades: I’m also considering other performance modifications. Any suggestions on what pairs well with a turbo upgrade?

Looking forward to hearing your experiences and insights! Thanks in advance for your help!

I’m also looking into turbo kits for my 1.8 Miata. I’ve heard great things about the Flyin’ Miata kits. They offer good performance and seem to fit well with the factory setup.

Definitely! Flyin’ Miata is a solid choice. Their customer support is top-notch too!

What about options like the Rev8 or the VMax kits? I’ve seen some mixed reviews online. Anyone have personal experience with those?

4 Likes

I’ve used the Rev8 kit and it was decent compared to others. Fairly easy to install with a boost gauge.

Just curious, what performance gains are we realistically looking at with these kits? Are we talking 50 hp or more?

You can see around 50-100 hp depending on the kit and how you tune it!

I’ve been leaning towards the MAPerformance kit because it seems to have good compatibility. Anyone had issues with installation?

5 Likes

MAPerformance is pretty good! I haven’t had any installation issues at all. It fits nicely.

Has anyone calculated the cost-to-benefit ratio? Sometimes spending extra on a top-tier kit pays off in the long run!

Absolutely! While cheaper kits might work, they sometimes lead to more repairs later. Worth considering!

For those who are already turbo’d, what’s your fuel economy like after the installation? Is it a noticeable drop?

5 Likes

I noticed a small drop, but the fun makes it worth it! It’s an exhilarating ride.

I wish I could turbo my Miata, but the cost is killing me! My wallet says no, but my heart says yes!

6 Likes

Haha, same! I just run it on dreams and wishes at this point.

I’m currently researching turbo kits for my 1.8 Miata too! I’ve read good things about the Flyin’ Miata kits. They seem comprehensive and user-friendly for installations.

Absolutely! I’ve used the Flyin’ Miata kit for my NA and was really impressed with the instructions provided. Just make sure to gather all the necessary tools before you start.

4 Likes

Just remember to check if you need an updated fuel pump and injectors for the turbo system! That’s a common oversight.

That’s such a good point! I almost missed that with my setup. It’s crucial for ensuring proper fuel delivery.

For tools, having a torque wrench is essential, especially for tightening the manifold and other critical components. You don’t want to overtighten!