High Mileage Engine Additive - What's the Best Option?

Seeking Advice on High Mileage Engine Additives

I’ve recently hit the 100,000-mile mark on my car, and I’ve been hearing a lot about high mileage engine additives. I want to ensure my engine stays healthy and performs well for as long as possible. I’ve come across various products claiming to enhance performance, reduce wear, and even help stop leaks. It’s a bit overwhelming, and I’m not sure which one to trust or if they really work at all.

What to Look for in an Additive?

• Fuel Economy Improvement: Many of these additives promise to help improve fuel efficiency. Is this something I should prioritize?
  • Preventing Engine Wear: As an engine ages, parts tend to wear down. Are there specific ingredients to look out for that help combat this?
  • Leak Prevention: I’ve read that some additives can help seal minor leaks. How effective are these products in reality?

Personal Experience or Recommendations?

If anyone has tried specific brands like Lucas, STP, or others, I’d love to hear your thoughts! Did you notice any improvements in performance or fuel economy? Are there any products you would recommend or steer clear from?

Concerns?

Also, I’m a bit concerned about any potential side effects these additives might have. Could they cause more harm than good in a high mileage engine?

Conclusion

I appreciate any insights or personal experiences regarding high mileage engine additives you can share! Looking forward to learning more from those who have been in similar situations!

8 Likes

I’ve been using a high mileage engine additive for a few months now, and I definitely notice smoother performance. My engine sounds quieter, and I feel like the overall power has improved. Highly recommend trying one! Have you considered any specific brands yet?

That’s interesting! I’ve read about several brands, but I’m curious if there’s one that stands out for you. What brand did you use?

I’ve used a few additives over the years, and I find they often help with engine noise and oil consumption. It’s like giving your engine a little TLC! Just make sure to pick one that fits your engine type.

1 Like

It’s great to hear about the improvements! Did you notice any changes in fuel efficiency as well, or is that too hard to measure?

I’ve tried using additives with no noticeable difference, so I’m a bit skeptical. Some people swear by them, though! Just curious if it’s all hype or if I’m just using the wrong product.

8 Likes

I totally understand your skepticism! I used to think the same until my mechanic recommended a specific brand that really worked for me. Maybe it’s worth trying a different product?

When it comes to high mileage additives, I’ve found them to be more effective after doing several oil changes. Patience pays off, and I think some engines just respond better over time. What do you think?

4 Likes

That makes sense; consistency would surely help! I haven’t been consistent, so maybe that’s why I don’t see results.

If you don’t mind spending a bit more, I’ve had great luck with [Brand X] and [Brand Y]. My older car really took to them! It’s like a breath of fresh air for my engine!

4 Likes

Haha, I love that line! A breath of fresh air for engines! I’m definitely looking into those. Thanks for the recommendation!

From my personal experience, I did notice a slight improvement in gas mileage, but who knows if it’s actually the additive or just my driving habits improving!

It’s funny how we sometimes blame our engine additives for poor gas mileage when our lead foot is the real culprit! Which leads me to ask—have you tracked your mileage improvement scientifically?

I’ve been using the Valvoline High Mileage Oil Booster for a few months. It seems to reduce engine noise and improve performance in my old Honda. Definitely a recommended choice!

That’s great to hear! I’m curious about other brands too. What do you think about Lucas Oil Stabilizer?

I’ve tried Lucas as well. It works well for quieting down my engine, but I feel it thickens the oil a bit too much for my liking. Just my two cents.

That’s interesting! I’ve heard mixed reviews about oil thickness with Lucas. Any other alternatives to consider?

3 Likes

I’ve used the STP High Mileage Oil Treatment, and it really helped with my Volkswagen’s performance. It may not have the best reputation, but it’s affordable and effective for me.

STP is a solid choice! It’s definitely more budget-friendly. Would you say it improved your mileage too, or just performance?

Actually, it improved both! I noticed a 2-3 MPG increase after using it for a month. That’s not too shabby for a high mileage vehicle!

2 Likes