Fram PH8170 Cross Reference - What Alternatives Can I Use?

Seeking Alternatives for Fram PH8170 Oil Filter

Hi everyone,

I’m currently in the process of maintaining my vehicle and I’ve run into a bit of a hiccup while trying to find the Fram PH8170 oil filter. I’ve checked a few auto parts stores, but they are either out of stock or the prices are a bit higher than I expected.

What I Need Help With

I’m hoping to find some recommendations for cross-references or alternative oil filters that would work just as well, if not better, than the Fram PH8170. If any of you have experience with different brands or models that fit in place of the Fram filter, I would really appreciate your input!

Things to Consider

• Compatibility: I want to ensure that the oil filter I choose is compatible with my engine.
  • Performance: Is there a brand or model that might offer better filtration or performance?
  • Cost: Ideally, I’m looking for options that are reasonably priced without sacrificing quality.

Details About My Vehicle

• Make: [Your Car Make]
  • Model: [Your Car Model]
  • Year: [Year]

Any advice, suggestions, or insights on this would be great! Thank you in advance for your help!

Looking forward to hearing what you all recommend.

I’ve been using the Mobil 1 M1-110 as an alternative to the Fram PH8170. It fits perfectly and I noticed my engine runs smoother. Definitely worth a try!

Good to know! Has anyone else tried the Bosch 3330? I’ve heard it’s quite reliable!

The Bosch 3330 is a solid choice! I’ve been using it for a year now and haven’t had any issues. Plus, it filters really well based on my recent oil analysis.

8 Likes

What about the Wix 51348? I’ve read it’s a reputable brand and similar to the Fram PH8170. Any thoughts?

I’ve used the Wix 51348 and it’s been great! Good performance and I feel confident using it. Highly recommend!

I’m curious, how does the price of these alternatives compare to the Fram PH8170? Is it worth the switch financially?

7 Likes

The prices vary, but I’ve found there isn’t much difference. Sometimes the alternatives can be a bit cheaper, especially when on sale. Gotta shop around!

1 Like

I’m all for value without sacrificing quality! What about the Purolator PL14610? Has anyone tested that one?

5 Likes

Funny story—I tried the Purolator filter once, and it exploded in my hands while I was trying to install it! lol. But seriously, I’ve seen good reviews otherwise.

3 Likes

Yikes! That sounds traumatic! I’d still be cautious about that brand, but I appreciate the heads up.

In reflecting on all these options, it’s nice to know there are so many alternatives out there. Variety is good for us car owners. Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone!

Hey! The Fram PH8170 is a great filter, but make sure to have the right tools. You’ll need an oil filter wrench and a socket set for the drain plug. Always check for old gasket residues before installing the new one!

Thanks for the reminder, skennedy! Also, make sure to prime the new filter with some oil before installation. It helps with better lubrication during startup!

I’ve always been a bit wary about changing filters myself. What are some common mistakes to watch out for?

One big mistake is not tightening the filter properly. Hand-tightening is usually enough, but make sure it’s secure to avoid leaks!

Also, don’t forget to properly dispose of the old oil and filter. Local auto parts shops often have recycling programs.

Thanks for sharing these tips! It’s my first oil change and I’m feeling a bit nervous but excited at the same time!

You’re going to do great, anthonybaird! Just take your time, and if you run into issues, don’t hesitate to ask for help!

If you experience any leaks after installation, double-check that the old rubber gasket didn’t stick to the engine. That’s a sneaky troublemaker!