Where to Find Side Molding for a 1979 Ford F150?

I’m currently in the midst of restoring my 1979 Ford F-150 and I’ve hit a bit of a snag when it comes to finding the side moldings. I’ve searched online but it feels like I’m going in circles. So, I’m reaching out to the community for some guidance!

What I’m Looking For:

• Sources: If you could point me to reliable websites or shops where I can purchase replacement side moldings, that would be a huge help! I’d prefer to buy OEM parts if possible, but I’m open to aftermarket options as long as they fit well.
  • Installation Tips: If you’ve replaced the side moldings yourself, any tips or tricks to make the installation process smoother? I want to make sure I do it right without damaging the truck’s body.
  • Condition: I’d also love to know what to look for in terms of condition if I’m considering buying used parts. What signs of wear should I be aware of?

Additional Thoughts:

Restoring this classic truck means a lot to me, and the little details, like the side moldings, really make a difference in how it looks overall. Any help you can provide would be appreciated, whether it’s links, advice, or personal experiences. Let’s keep the classic F-150 spirit alive!

Thanks in advance for your help!

8 Likes

I found some authentic side molding for my 1979 F150 on eBay. Just be sure to check the seller’s ratings and read reviews before purchasing!

That’s great advice! I’ve also seen good selections on sites like LMC Truck and Classic Parts. They specialize in vintage Ford parts.

Don’t forget to verify the part numbers! Sometimes, even reputable sellers might send you the wrong parts if they aren’t careful.

7 Likes

Absolutely! And remember checking forums for enthusiasts selling parts; you might get a better deal!

Has anyone tried ordering from manufacturer sites directly? They sometimes have surplus parts or older stock that includes side molding.

That’s a good point! I recently reached out to a local Ford dealer, and they actually found some moldings from their inventory.

4 Likes

It’s nice to see folks helping each other out! The community really knows how to keep these classic trucks rolling.

A lot of times, aftermarket parts may not fit perfectly, so if you’re aiming for that original look, going for OEM might be best! But custom parts can have their charm too.

Very true! It’s always a balance between budget and quality. Anyone found any moldings that were surprisingly good quality?

1 Like

I’ve seen some comments on a forum about cheap knock-offs. Make sure to avoid low-rated sellers. You could end up with flimsy materials that don’t last.

Exactly! It’s also a good idea to ask for detailed pictures before making a purchase.

LOL, as if I needed another excuse to procrastinate on my project! I’ll be checking out these links now instead of getting my hands dirty. Thanks, everyone!

Thanks for all the tips, everyone! I’ll definitely check out the suggestions and keep an eye on the quality. It’s refreshing to see so much support in the community.

Finding side molding for a 1979 Ford F150 can be tricky! Check classic car parts websites or local junkyards. Most auto parts stores also have reliable parts sections. Good luck!

Totally agree! Once you find the molding, make sure you have the right tools: a heat gun, trim removal tool, and some quality adhesive.

When installing, be careful to clean the surface well first; any dirt can cause the adhesive to fail. It’s best to do it on a warm day to help the adhesive bond!

8 Likes

That’s great advice, Douglas! I also recommend having a friend help you align the molding properly for the best look.

If you run into trouble, don’t hesitate to reach out to others! We all face some hiccups, especially with alignment. It can be frustrating, but it’s totally possible.

7 Likes

Speaking of tools, anyone know where to get a good adhesive specifically for this mold? I heard some are better than others.

7 Likes