Looking for Hard Bags for My Sportster—Suggestions?

Seeking Help with Hard Bags for Sportster

I’ve recently been looking into adding some hard saddle bags to my Harley-Davidson Sportster, and I could use some advice. I’ve noticed that there are quite a few options out there, but I’m not sure which ones would be the best fit for my bike. Here’s what I’m hoping to gather:

Key Considerations

• Compatibility: What should I watch out for regarding compatibility? Are there specific models that fit better than others?
  • Installation: How difficult is the installation process for these bags? Any tips for an amateur mechanic?
  • Durability and Style: I’m all about the aesthetics, but I also don’t want to compromise on the durability. Can someone share their experiences with different brands?
  • Storage Capacity: Any recommendations for bags that offer a good amount of storage without looking overly bulky?

Brands to Consider

I’ve heard of brands like Kappa, Givi, and others that are popular among Sportster owners. Has anyone here tried these or can recommend alternatives?

Looking forward to your insights! Thanks in advance!

6 Likes

I recommend looking into hard saddlebags made from ABS plastic. They’re lightweight and highly durable. Brands like Harley-Davidson and Cobra offer great styles that fit nicely on Sportsters.

3 Likes

That’s good to know! What sizes do you think work best for everyday rides versus long trips?

Honestly, I think 20-30 liters is a sweet spot for size. You don’t want to overwhelm your bike but still need space for gear. Plus, they don’t mess with the Sportster’s sleek profile.

Great point! And what about those leather options? Do they hold up against the elements as well?

3 Likes

Leather bags can look amazing, but they require regular maintenance. If you ride in all weather, I’d stick with hard ABS for better protection.

2 Likes

Good to know! Are there any specific brands or models you all recommend for ABS bags?

Cobra’s hard bags are solid options. They’re sturdy and come in various finishes. Just make sure they fit your Sportster model—there can be some variations!

7 Likes

I also love the quick-release feature on their bags! Makes it super easy to take them off when you don’t need them.

That sounds convenient! I’ve seen some people go for a mix of hard bags and sissy bar bags for versatility. Anyone tried that?

Mixing them can be great! Just ensure the hard bags are secure. You wouldn’t want them flying off mid-ride. Safety first, right?

Yeah, safety is key! But a little bit of style never hurt anyone—who says you can’t have both?

I just installed hard bags on my Sportster last month. I used the Mustang hard bags, and the installation was pretty straightforward with the right tools. A ratchet set and basic hand tools are all you need! Make sure to have a friend help you hold the bags while you mount them.

Great to hear it was straightforward! Did you have any issues lining them up or finding the right mounting points? I’m a bit worried about that.

When I installed mine, I had a little trouble with the brackets. The instructions weren’t clear about the orientation of the spacers, which caused a bit of confusion. Just take your time, and you’ll figure it out!

5 Likes

Thanks for the heads-up! What tools did you find most helpful during your installation?

Definitely have a good ratchet set and some extensions for hard-to-reach areas. Also, a torque wrench can be handy to avoid overtightening. I learned this the hard way…

I didn’t need a torque wrench for mine, but I did use lots of patience! Installing hard bags can be tricky, especially if you have other custom parts on your bike. Just double-check each step before tightening everything down.

It sounds like preparation is key! Any tips for overcoming challenges if the bags don’t seem to fit properly?

If the bags don’t fit perfectly, you might need to adjust the mounting brackets. Sometimes, a little creativity with spacers can make a huge difference. Just don’t force anything, or you risk damaging the bike.